Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Animals at the Zoo


For the Columbus Day holiday, I decided to take my four animals on a field trip to the Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison to see other animals in action.

It was a fabulous fall day, and the weather couldn't have been better.  I was a little concerned that with the holiday, the zoo would be packed with people, but there was no need.  Since there weren't any school field trips, the zoo was as un-crowded as I'd ever seen it, with just a few families and their kids browsing around.

Gabe loves monkeys, and so we spent lots of time in the Ape house.  We were there during the animals' feeding time, which was so cool, because the Howler Monkeys got impatient and started up a tremendous racket.  I'm not an evolutionist, but more so than any other time I felt a bit of a family kinship. . .

 
Gabe dressed very carefully for the trip.  This is an awesome shirt that I got for Peter when he was little.  When you cross the arms the dinosaur makes a face . . .

Henry Vilas zoo has a wonderful playground, where we spent lots of time soaking in the fresh air.  Ella especially had fun climbing around and playing with the other little kids.

I had left my wallet locked up in the car, and when we got to the carousel, I discovered that I hadn't put enough cash in my pocket and I was $2 short.  I thought I'd be forced to make a choice as to who could ride the carousel, but a lovely lady who was standing by noticed my predicament and kindly gave Breanna the needed $2.

It could not have been donated to a more grateful recipient.  That child simply adores carousels with an unholy passion.

All in all, it was one of those magical days when I was so thankful to be a mom.


(If you're viewing this post through email you'll need to click here to see the video clip.)




 

1 comment:

Explore-Science-Beyond-the-Classroom said...

Wow Ella's hair is so long and her shoes are so cute. Gables shirt is very cool too!