Monday, August 4, 2008

Plugging Away

Although I've been doing a lot more sewing than usual, sewing bags for my Etsy store, I haven't given up on my knitting addiction. Nope. I'm in full gear for Christmas, and the last-minute panic mode has set in.

Deeply. No more silly flitting around knitting stuff for me. Uh-uh.

(Non-knitters will no doubt wonder at my "last-minute" gasping about Christmas, but when most of one's Christmas gifts are handmade, one must needs start working at before-mentioned gifts in January. Otherwise, there is the inevitable, "She got a hand made sock, why did I get this lousy book?" . . . Of course, most of my family is too polite to say such a thing. To my face.)

Right now most of my knitting time is being taken up with knitting a Sleeveless Hoodie for Handyman. Have I ever mentioned he's huge? I feel like I'm attempting to knit a tent for the Russian circus. Thankfully, I've wisely picked a sleeveless item this time. I've finished most of the back (except the hood), and I would have taken a picture except the uncooperative thing kept rolling up in a tube. Knitting tends to do that until it's either 1) got the stuffing blocked out of it, or 2) been sewn together at the seams. Neither of which I have done, so you're just going to have to see a photo of someone else wearing the sleeveless hoodie. (It's the guy on the left wearing a blue and red hoodie, and he's not bad looking, so don't complain). I've picked similar colors, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. We shall see how it all ends . . .

Second up is a little cabled sweater for my newest niece, Grace Elizabeth. I had started the Peachy Baby sweater, but as it was knit in a thin yarn, I realized I'd never finish it in time for her to wear it. Therefore, I switched to Knitty's Trellis cardigan. Cables don't really slow me down at all, since I don't use a cable needle. Also, it's knit with a thicker worsted weight yarn (Vanna's Choice Acrylic), so that adds to the speed of getting it done. (An added bonus is that all the cables keep me interested so I tend to work on it more consistently.) Since taking this photo I've finished the front and both sleeves. I still have to sew the parts together and knit a bit on the collar, but it should be done soon.

If you haven't noticed, I've added a few more bags to my Etsy store. (There's a little widget on the sidebar with pictures). I've been working on sewing up a bunch of extra large market/grocery bags. I don't personally like using plastic or paper grocery bags as they're terrible for the environment, so these are my version of a pretty alternative. This latest one is sewn from the cutest chicken fabric. It sort of reminds me of a French Country look. You can be eco-conscious and fashionable at the same time!

*sigh* Here's hoping they sell!

(Oh, the song playing is Deux Arabesques, by Debussy, and is probably my most favorite piano piece.)

No comments: