Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Obsession

That's what I've decided to name this new sock pattern that I'm currrently writing/working on.

"Obsession" is a very apt name for several reasons;
Firstly, I've been obsessed with knitting this stupid thing. I finished the first sock in - get this - two days.

(My five-year-old son Peter very kindly snapped this photo for me. I just want all of
you out there in blog land to appreciate the depths of humiliation to
which I will submerge myself in order to produce blog-worthy material -
- also I thought the photo un-flatteringly hilarious.)

I simply have been unable to put this thing down. The twists and cables and cross-overs in the perfect blend of simple yet difficult have kept me mesmerized.
I love the lusciously soft twist of the 100% merino fibers. It's not machine washable, so the thought that I might someday accidentally shrink this to fit Baby Gabe makes me feel un-responsible, wild, and dangerous.
I love the drop stitch heel that gently hugs the back of the foot.
Most of all, I love the side twist that continues down the length of the foot on the sides and all the way through the toe, even past the toe decreases. I've never seen this on another sock pattern, and although I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, at least I can claim that I "thought of it all by my ownself with just my 'lil' own ideas."
Obsession is also named after my friend Gandalf, who has been obsessed with the Extreme Makeover Home Edition team that has recently descended upon our little Midwest town. I petitioned Gandalf to Kinnear some of the crew for me, and she kindly agreed (for a more detailed and hilarious explanation of Kinnearing, click here). Gandalf, as only she can do, Kinneared two of the more famous members.

(I love how it looks like Ty Pennington is thinking, "Hmmm, I'm holding a sock. Sheesh, this is weird. The things I have to put up with. At least I know no one's worn it yet . . .")

("What the heck am I doing? This is retarded! At least it's original!")

And finally, my favorite celebrity photo:
I flips me out that he's holding my sock and smiling with perfect British aplomb as though this is the most normal thing in the world for a carpenter on a TV reality show to be doing.

Of course, my grasp of reality may not be that great right now either.

7 comments:

Nikki said...

I like to consider it more of them "holding my booty" or bootie as the case may be. Regardless, when I tell the story I'm telling people I made them hold my booty ;oP I actually have a hilarious picture of me explaining to Ed why I need him to hold the sock...oh the things a girl will do for her friends :)

Wishful Acres Farm said...

ROFL! Oh, that's so hilarious. I LOVE the picture of you. Those are, hands down, the most beautiful socks I've ever seen. They are works of art!

WELCOME TO TuttleTime! said...

I think that should be your new FB profile pic! LOL...absolutely hilarious.

Sereknitty said...

Nice hair, Rachel! Your lovely sock reminds me of the dirndl socks we used to wear in Austria.

Ellen said...

You are HILARIOUS! :D

And that sock is ABSOLUTELY stunning!!

Too Little Time said...

Great post -- hope all is well in your world - Karrie

Explore-Science-Beyond-the-Classroom said...

Those socks are your Magnum Opus. And the pics are stunning... Please don't ever give me those beauties for Christmas. I may accidentally burn them and I would never forgive myself.